The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon from the Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard, densely saturated garnet in the glass, has even in its appearance, depth balanced by liveliness. Strikingly focused aromatics of crushed graphite, cedar, sage, and cigar box precede flavors of mountain black cherry, wild blackberry and currant wafting in high wattage power from the glass. The mouthfeel’s full weight and roundness is framed by waves of silky yet pronounced tannins, which crescendo into a long, elegant finish that exhilarates the palate. Consider complementing the complexity and profound depth of this wine with the simplicity of a pan roasted veal chop, or well-seasoned dry aged beef. Serve at 50°-55° F.
Harvest Date October 6th
Growing Season A classic vintage with few seasonal extremes, set the stage for superior quality. An excellent bloom and set period were followed by a warm summer, lacking any significant heat spikes. Even ripening gave way to a marginally early harvest of up to a week; concluding with the last of the cabernet sauvignon being picked on October 22nd. The resulting wines boast site specificity, depth, and distinction.
• Hand-sorted while still cold from the field
• Fermented in small, closed-top stainless steel tanks with indigenous yeasts
• 6-day cold soak, 30 day total maceration
• Gentle pumpovers and délestage
• Spontaneous malolactic fermentation in barrel
• Aged 20 months in French oak barrels; 100% new
• Coopers: Baron, Darnajou, Marques, Radoux, Taransaud
• Varietal Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
• Bottled unfined and unfiltered; June, 2016