Our 2014 Kick Ranch syrah reveals a telltale inky indigo hue and richly savory bouquet of blue and black fruits, mingled with brooding notes of crushed herbs, roasted duck, leather, tobacco and black tea. Juicy, polished and mouth filling, this wine’s refined tannins and electric energy recall its Northern Rhone cousins. Aged 15 months in French oak barrels, 54% new.
Harvest Date October 2nd
Growing Season 2014 was the third straight outstanding growing season in a row, following the excellent 2012 and 2013 vintages. Dry winter and spring conditions limited canopy vigor, and a warm growing season with a lack of extreme heat spikes resulted in prolonged, even ripening through harvest. The resulting wines possess great site specificity, depth and quality.
• Hand-harvested, picked at night
• Hand-sorted, cold; 5% whole cluster inclusion
• 6-day cold soak, 24 days total maceration
• Spontaneous malolactic fermentation in barrel
• Gentle pump overs and delestage
• Fermented with indigenous yeasts in small, open-top, stainless steel tanks
• Aged 15 months in French oak barrels, 54% new
• Coopers: Francois Frères, Cadus, Remond
• Unfined and unfiltered; bottled January 2016